We're still processing claims during the COVID-19 pandemic – find out more how this works here.

Call 08000 277 323 any day, any time

Negligent Hospital Treatment

Most people go into hospital hoping to be well looked after and unfortunately in some cases this does not happen and as a result of medical negligence you may have suffered additional significant harm. In such circumstances you may wish to consider suing the NHS. Alternatively, you may have been treated in a private hospital in which case you will need to sue your private Consultant.

Claim for Negligent Hospital Treatment

The Clinical Negligence Team has significant experience in dealing with cases of negligent hospital treatment and can advise whether there may be a claim for negligence in your particular circumstances.

Talk to us in confidence on

08000 277 323 or request a call back


What is negligent hospital treatment?

When you are admitted to hospital the medical staff in hospital have a duty of care to look after you and treat you to an acceptable medical standard. If there is a failure to provide care to an acceptable standard, then this may meet the legal test for negligence and you may be in a position to claim for compensation.

When might I have a claim?

You may have a claim in medical negligence if you attended hospital for treatment or expected a particular outcome, but suffered an adverse effect as a result of the medical care received.  It is important to note that there are lots of medical complications which are unavoidable and are not as a result of any medical negligence. However, there are a number of situations where medical mistakes happen which should not have happened and in which case you should seek advice as to your options. If you are not clear as to whether a mistake has been made or not, then it is open to you to complain to the hospital and this may give you further information and help you assess the quality of the treatment you received.

What sort of compensation might I receive

The level of compensation in cases relating to negligent hospital treatment will be dependent on what your circumstances were at the time of your injury and the extent of your injuries.  If you have been unable to work as a result of your injury then you will have a claim for loss of earnings. If you have suffered a very serious  physical injury then the effects on your life will be much more significant and will probably warrant a higher level of compensation.  Compensation is broken down into two key areas, the first is for general damages to compensate you for your pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. There are then special damages to compensate you for specific financial losses including loss of earnings, the need for further medical treatment or therapy, the need for additional care or aids and equipment. There is a long list of potential heads of loss and again, an experienced clinical negligence Solicitor will be able to fully investigate and advise you on this.

Recent cases

Share this

Explore our site